Donate Real Estate
Donate a home or land parcel and help Habitat with the first step in the building process! By making a gift of real estate, the donation provides you with tax-benefits while making a personal impact for local families.
Gifts of real estate include undeveloped land, residential and commercial property. Habitat looks for land large enough to build at least a single family home. A larger lot would possibly allow us to build multiple housing units, giving us the ability to help more than one family per build.
Real Estate Gifts May Be Accepted in a Variety of Ways:
- Outright Gift: Donor transfers the property for retention and use by the Habitat South Central Minnesota or for immediate liquidation with proceeds directed according to donor intent.
- Retained Life Estate (RLE): Donor transfers ownership to Habitat South Central Minnesota, but retains the right to live in the property for a specified period of time or accepts a remainder interest in a personal residence, farm, or vacation property under a RLE agreement.
- Bargain Sale: Donor sells the property to Habitat South Central Minnesota for less than its appraised fair market value and receives a charitable deduction for the difference between the value of the property and the sale price.
- Life Income Gift: Donor transfers ownership of the property to fund a charitable remainder trust or charitable gift annuity.
- Bequest: Donor bequeaths the property to Habitat South Central Minnesota in his or her will or revocable (living) trust. If a gift of real estate is encumbered by a mortgage or lien, Habitat South Central Minnesota will request the donor pay off the debt prior to making the donation.
Please consider this information as a starting point. With all charitable gifts, it is important to consult with your attorney or financial advisor to ensure that you comply with state laws, receive maximum tax benefits, and that your wishes are accurately reflected in necessary legal documents.
Questions? Contact Us.