Qualifying for Homeownership
Habitat serves hardworking families who are currently renting and who may not qualify for a conventional mortgage to purchase a home.
You may be eligible for a Habitat home if you:
- Fall within our income guidelines. Families of four can earn up to $57,866 - $64,560 (depending on the county) and still qualify.
- Have lived or worked in our service area for at least six months (see below).
- Invest 200 hours of sweat equity per adult during the homebuilding process.
- Attend financial literacy and homeowner education classes and meetings.
- Have a low debt-to-income ratio. Monthly debt must not exceed 41% of monthly income.
South Central Minnesota Service Area
To receive a home, applicants must currently live or work in our service area counties. HFHSCM serves Blue Earth, Nicollet, Le Sueur, Sibley, and Watanwon counties. To see a map of our service area, please click here.
If you do not live or work in one of those 5 counties, please visit HabitatMN.org to find your local affiliate.
Applying for Homeownership
If you believe you meet the qualifications listed above and would like to learn more about applying, please submit a "Homeowner Pre-Application Form" and our Family Services Manager will contact you.
With your permission HFHSCM will verify employment, other income, public assistance and rental history. HFHSCM will also perform a credit check and sex-offender database check. In order to evaluate your application we may request documents such as (but not limited to):
- Habitat for Humanity Housing Application
- Income tax returns and W-2's
- Applicant and Co-applicant Employment Verification Form – completed by employer(s)
- Public Assistance Verification Form Completed by Social Service Agency, if applicable
- Copy of your current lease
- Utility bills
Next Steps in the Process
Families are selected out of the pool of applicants who meet the qualifications stated above. Because we are a volunteer organization, we cannot guarantee all qualified applicants who apply will receive a house. However, we will strive to meet the needs of as many qualified applicants as our resources permit. In addition, if you are not initially accepted, you may reapply.
Note: HFHSCM will not proselytize, nor will HFHSCM work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFHSCM. This means HFHSCM will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.