Qualifying for Homeownership
HFHSCMN serves Blue Earth, Nicollet, Le Sueur (including the entire city of New Prague), Sibley, and Watanwon counties. To see a map of our service area, please click here.
You must fall within the income guidelines listed above to qualify for a Habitat home.
The following sources of income are counted:
- Child Support
- Social Security
- Section 8
You may be eligible for a Habitat home if you:
- Fall within our income guidelines (shown above).
- Are willing to complete 200 hours of sweat equity per adult applicant during the homebuilding process.
- Attend and complete the Home Stretch course
- Attend financial literacy and homeowner education classes and meetings.
- Have a credit history free of judgement, collection accounts, and liens
- Have a reliable source of income to make monthly mortgage payments
- Have a low debt-to-income ratio. Monthly debt must not exceed 41% of monthly income.
Applying for Homeownership
If you believe you meet the qualifications listed above and would like to learn more about applying, please submit a "Homeowner Pre-Application Form" and our Family Services Manager will contact you.
With your permission HFHSCM will verify employment, other income, public assistance and rental history. HFHSCM will also perform a credit check and sex-offender database check. In order to evaluate your application we may request documents such as (but not limited to):
- Habitat for Humanity Housing Application
- Income tax returns and W-2's for the past 2 years
- Applicant and co-applicant employment verification form – completed by employer(s)
- Public assistance verification form completed by a social service agency, if applicable
- Rental verification form
- Utility bills
- 2 months pay stubs for applicant and co-applicant
- Verification of identity and citizenship status for both applicant and co-applicant
Next Steps in the Process
Families are selected out of the pool of applicants who meet the qualifications stated above. We cannot guarantee all qualified applicants who apply will receive a house, however, we will strive to meet the needs of as many qualified applicants as our resources permit. In addition, if you are not initially accepted, you may reapply.
Note: HFHSCM will not proselytize, nor will HFHSCM work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFHSCM. This means HFHSCM will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.